Friday, February 5, 2010

The Liberating Effect of Forfeiting Liberties

One of my new year's resolutions was to get a 4.0 this semester. I knew this would require a level of focus previously unknown to me. I have, quite possibly, my toughest class load yet. I'm taking 16 credits, working, and trying my best to fulfill my calling. Throw on some dating and basketball and I'm a pretty busy boy.

I sat down at the beginning of the semester and outlined my plan to achieve my goal of a 4.0. Many social activities were cut out. Televised sports have gone by the wayside. My sleeping patterns required rearranging. The library has become my home away from home. The 7th cubicle on the north side of the 5th floor has become my domain.

I worried that it would be difficult to maintain the level of focus I had the first couple weeks of the semester. I was at the library daily. I was ahead in every class and still working further ahead. I agonized over a missed point on a quiz. The result has surprised me. I still study a lot. There are still things I turn down for the sake of my goal. I've found, though, that I feel so much more free using this approach. I can choose which social activities I want to go to the most. I'm not at the mercy of a due date to determine leisure time. By forfeiting certain liberties that I haven't in the past, I feel like I am so much more in control of my life. I've become more free by forfeiting liberties.

This surprised me. It shouldn't. This is exactly how the gospel works. Heavenly Father gives us commandments to direct our focus. Yes, these commandments require us to give up certain things. Some liberties are removed by our desire to keep His commandments. There are weeks that I want to stay home and watch the NFL playoffs rather than go to church. There are nights that I don't want to go to institute. There are times when I feel like cussing, usually at myself. There's also no way in the world that I would ever do these things. I've learned over and over again that keeping His commandments makes me free.

I love it when things click in my head.

2 comments: