Thursday, February 4, 2010

A difference of opinion

So, I went to the Jazz game last night. Fun game, win number 7 in a row! I love the Jazz. My Jazz love will have to be saved for another post, though. This post is about the ride home.

I went with my dad, my older brother, my youngest brother and a girl he brought. I was driving, my older brother was in the passenger seat, and the other three were in the back. I don't remember how it came up, but we started talking politics and such. My older brother has very opinionated views on all things politics. He has a very dim view of big government and "so-called democracy".

I am an international relations major, so I was unhesitatingly drawn into a debate. I disagree with many of his views, but it was very refreshing to talk to someone with such a different opinion. He wasn't just playing devil's advocate, either. He honestly believed what he was arguing, and I loved it!

I love differing opinions. Especially when you can have a respectful, open debate. I love it when people think for themselves and are willing to question things. Elder Enzio Busche said, "On the road to salvation, let questions arise, but never doubts." That's what I try to do. I love to think things through. I believe there is an immense value in the process of questioning the answers, researching, and coming to your own conclusion.

How many times are we counseled to do that in the scriptures?!

Moroni's promise exhorts us to read, ponder, and ask God. - Moroni 10:3-5

"You must study it out in your mind, then you must ask [God] if it be right." -D&C 9:8

Those are just a few examples. That is how it's supposed to work. Clarity and answers come as we think, study, and pray. Too often we skip the first two steps and just want the answers given to us. That's not real learning. Real learning takes place in the process, not in the answer.

Here's a toast to differing opinions!

4 comments:

  1. So glad you had a good talk on the way home. I have to admit, when I heard you and Dan were in the front seat talking politics, etc. I was a bit worried for Jaden and the girl he took. I know how you and Dan come at things from very opposite corners, so I was very happy to hear you had a good discussion. I agree with what you said about questioning and studying and praying to find answers. Probably the best gift I received by attending college was the tools to question and study. I grew up with the idea that we should never question anything. So I had to question my own standards to even allow myself to start questioning. Sometimes when people think of "questioning" they think of rebelling. But questioning brings clarity and conviction for me now. Thanks for the insights, Dave. I can always count on you for great insights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? We're not even on your blog list? Ouch. I choose to be offended until our blog shows up on your list, and then I can forgive you and we can be friends again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear I added you days ago. I'm new to the whole blog list thing. I apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave, you are an inspiring deep thinker. I love it and that you share it! Questioning does bring truth and clarity thanks for helping me remember.

    ReplyDelete