Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Here is a poem that I recently wrote about my parents. In case you miss it, it's intended to be the thought process of a naive, younger version of myself.

I used to know

I used to know how to do my math homework,
And all of world history was a cake walk, for sure.
Physics, biology, it was never that bad,
All I had to do was ask my dad.

I used to know just where to look in the stands
If ever I needed to see my biggest fan.
At every event, no matter my size
My mom was there, usually with tears in her eyes.

Don’t worry, be happy, my dad always said;
That was easy for me, it’s not hard to be a kid
My dad was a millionaire, and I was his heir
Parents always have money, and they all love to share

Service makes you happy, my mom would repeat
As she sent us to serve with some neighborhood kids
Interesting, though, how she never had to go
She was always “too busy”, making dinner for some widow.

It seems the older I get, the less that I know;
Everything used to make sense, it was all so easy.
I hope in the future, when I turn into a dad
I get the same handbook that my parents must have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment