Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Today's Quest: 1000 push-ups

So I do this from time to time. Throughout the course of the day, I am attempting to do 1,000 push-ups. I usually average about 200/day, so 1,000 shouldn't seem like that much of a long shot, but after about 600 my arms feel like rubber. I'll keep updating with my current status for those that would like to follow along/cheer me on/belittle my efforts/trash talk/or any other option you can think of.

Current push-up count: 1,000

1:26 p.m. - 600 push-ups.
3:36 p.m. - 700 push-ups. I'm definitely slowing. It's gone from sets of 50 to sets of 10.
5:31 p.m. - 800 push-ups. Every set is a struggle now. My arms are hurting even when I'm not doing pushups.
7:45 p.m. - 900 push-ups. It's all will power from here on out.
11:53 p.m. - 1,000 push-ups. My chest and shoulders are on fire. Tomorrow is gonna be bad. I did it, though! 1,000 push-ups in a day. Booyah! It hurts so good!

7 comments:

  1. Dave,

    That's a lot of freaking push-ups. Are you defining "day" as a 24-hour period, or the time that you are awake today? If it's 24 hours, you could probably get there using some much-needed rest during the night.

    Another technical question: Are you allowed to mix up the type of push-up you do? For example, can you switch to a decline push-up, super-wide-fly push-up, diamond-cutter push-up, etc.? That could get you some mileage, although some of those might just wear you out faster. I like this challenge, and were it not for my upper-body weakness, I might try to tackle it. 500 seems to be within reach for me, however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, I'm saying from the time I got up this morning to the time I go to bed tonight. Also, they all have to be the same kind of push-up. At some point in my life I'm going to do 1,000 diamond cutters in a day, but for now, I'm just doing the classical push-ups.

    Go for 500 then! The number is irrelevant, as long as it pushes you past what you think you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GO DAVE!!! You can do this...And even if you push yourself harder than you thought you could, you've still reached a great goal. I think you can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll try it sometime (the 500). Although I'll need to use push-up bars. My wrists are screwed up, man.

    Hey, BTW, we should ball it up sometime. That was fun when we played with Phil a few months ago.

    Good luck with the push-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this time of year we should be ending our long boarding... too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill - Thank you for the encouragement
    Tony - Amen. We should ball it up for sure. Let me know how the 500 goes.
    Meghan - I completely agree. What might have been...

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a means of encouragement, I found out that one push-up typically burns .5-1 calories. (http://www.ehow.com/about_5336844_many-calories-pushup-burn.html) This means that at 750, you've burned a good 375-750 calories from push-ups alone. And that doesn't even factor in the metabolic boost you'll get while you sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete