Monday, October 5, 2009

Let's Talk About Love

So, General Conference was this past weekend and it was incredible. A central theme seemed to be love. Not romantic love, although that was talked about as well, and I think about it a lot. They were referring to the kind of love God has for each of us. The real, never-ending, I'll always have your back because I died for you kind. It was applied to several different aspects of life. The one that I'll talk about right now that really spoke to me was making the gospel a part of who we are, and not just a thing we do.
Elder Bednar gave us several things to do to make us happier, and one that I need to get better at was, "Express love, and show it." How simple, yet profound. Think of the difference it would make in the world if people did that on a consistent basis. Everything would improve.
Too often I take for granted the people that I care about most in my life. I don't consistently let them know how much they mean to me, and that's unacceptable. William Shakespeare said, "They do not love, that do not show their love." Again, simple but profound. What is love if not outwardly manifested? An idea? I need to get better at SHOWING people that I love them. It does no good to simply say it. Those words must be backed up by genuine actions.
Also, I recently saw this video with a message from President Monson, and I love the principle. Love really does conquer all!



2 comments:

  1. I feel a little bad disagreeing with you, but I must. I think you're extremely good at showing your love. You show your love by being willing to drop anything to help a friend. Your calls to invite me to lunch, or stopping by to hug little Juni are love notes. You help people move in, move out, move on, even if it means staying up late to listen, or being the one to sacrifice your Saturday to lug a washer and dryer around. You makes us all laugh and feel light. How we love you for that. Sorry, Dave. We could all take a lesson from you, because giving of yourself is the best way of showing your love, and that you do very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh snap. According to that video we show love by taking someone's blood pressure. That's sure good to know!

    ReplyDelete